1. Know what paper you need. Thermal printers require thermal – dot matrix printers typically have a printer ribbon and require bond or carbonless paper. Also know if you need 2-ply rolls. This is what most restaurants use to manage their kitchen orders.
2. Know your printer model. Your paper supplier will provide paper compatible with your model.
3. Ask for more. Request the maximum amount of POS paper your printer model can hold. You want as much paper as possible on each roll to avoid paper changes during your kitchen’s daily rushes. What you might not know: the “standard” paper roll is shorter than most printers can accommodate, due to paper thickness variations. Example: the standard thermal paper roll is about 230 feet, but most thermal printers can fit 273 feet of paper or more. Be sure your supplier doesn’t shorten your paper rolls.
4. Streamline your ordering process. If you need printer ribbons, buy them when you buy your paper rolls. You can save both ordering time and money through volume discounts and reduced delivery fees. Just be sure your POS paper supplier carries both the paper and ribbons you need.
5. Get the right-sized carton. Kitchen paper can come in double-stacked or single-stacked cartons, as well as smaller paper-roll counts. Consider what you need before you buy too much.
6. Keep storage top of mind. If buying more than one case of paper rolls for one location, be sure you have a proper storage place. Most paper will hold up well indoors, but the kitchen can be warm and humid. Think about storage before you buy excess paper for a discount.
7. Don’t overpay. It may seem convenient, but ordering your POS paper from a foodservice supplier only brings a middleman into the process, increasing your costs. Order directly from a company that specializes in POS supplies to get the best price.
8. Don’t go out of your way. You may be tempted to hit the office supplies superstore in town – but that’s not your best bet. You will overpay for your supplies- and waste valuable time you could spend running your restaurant. Let a company that specializes in POS supplies deliver it right to your doorstep – within just a day or two.
9. Never run low. Never run out. Ask your POS paper supplier about automatic reordering or reminder services. 收銀機紙 will call or email you when it’s time to reorder your supplies- so your kitchen never runs out of paper.
Tips & Warnings
Tip: Sign up for automatic reordering or reminder services as soon as you can. It will make your work – and your life – much easier.
Warning: If you do buy from a food service supplier, you could pay up to 25 percent more for your kitchen paper.
Jim Stetson, SVP at Transact Technologies. Transact Technologies is a leader in developing and manufacturing market-specific printers for transaction-based industries. Beyond printers, Transact provides a complete range of supplies and consumable items such as thermal paper, printer toners, ribbons and cartridges, ATM paper and more through its website http://www.TransactSupplies.com and expert direct selling team.